Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Trim the Fat (Was: Re: Open 7.3 items )
Date: 2002-07-31 05:11:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> * libpqxx is not integrated into build process nor docs. It should
> be integrated or reversed out before beta.

I've requestsed that Jeorgen(sp?) move this over to GBorg ... its
something that can, and should be, built seperately from the base
distribution, along with at least a dozen other things we have bloating
the distribution now :( but at least that one hasn't been integrated yet

We got into 'creeping featurisms' in the beginning because we had no other
really central location to put stuff ... we do now, and with better
mechanisms in place for dealing with 'multiple maintainers' ... its
about time we start to trim the fat, before we can't fit through the
proverbial door anymore ...

Peronally, I find it quite annoying to have to download the complete
server distribution just to get libpq installed so that I can install
mod_php4 ... and with all the talk about 'why mysql vs pgsql' that has
been going on lately, its time to start look at how to make it easier to
'add a new interface' without having to download the whole distribution
'yet again' ...