Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

From: "Keith G(dot) Murphy" <keithmur(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Date: 2002-07-16 17:20:22
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2002 at 11:15:02AM -0400, Gregory Seidman wrote:
>

>>I'd be careful about recommending this. Debian is notoriously behind in
>>versions in their stable tree.
>>

> While it's true that Debian doesn't tend to have the latest and
> greatest in stable (even right at the time stable comes out), the
> PostgreSQL maintainer (Oliver Elphick) for Debian is very quick to
> release .debs for stable for the most recent PostgreSQL release. So
> the notoriety is not justified in this case.

I'm puzzled by that comment. Stable has 6.5.3 right now. The
maintainer is great, I agree, but it's just not Debian policy to keep
stable updated, beyond needed security fixes.

So seems to me Gregory Seidman was right. Unless you consider 6.5.3
up-to-date.

In fact, I'll bet a lot of Debian PostgreSQL users are running the
'testing' version, or compiled a newer version of PostgreSQL from source.