Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system

From: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL in mission-critical system
Date: 2002-07-16 18:39:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 12:20:22PM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > PostgreSQL maintainer (Oliver Elphick) for Debian is very quick to
> > release .debs for stable for the most recent PostgreSQL release. So
>
> I'm puzzled by that comment. Stable has 6.5.3 right now. The

Sorry, I should have been clearer. You need to visit Mr Elphick's
page to get it:

<http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/index.html>

Debian's policy is very clear that a new version of a package cannot
go into frozen (or statble) after the freeze. Backported bugfixes
can be introduced (I get the impression that a few exceptions have
been made for some packages, but it seems pretty rare), but not new
versions. Some package maintainers (Mr Elphick and the X package
maintainers among them) are willing to provide unofficial upgrade
packages for the stable branch, however.

----
Andrew Sullivan 87 Mowat Avenue
Liberty RMS Toronto, Ontario Canada
<andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> M6K 3E3