Re: Postgres with IBM ????????

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: prinson(at)naturesoft(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres with IBM ????????
Date: 2002-07-11 13:06:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Prison,

I've created Web Sphere packages for Solaria 8, and had to install Web
Sphere numerous times in the process of getting it right (learning curve
thing).

For getting Web Sphere to work with PostgreSQL... it doesn't work right
out of the box. When you install Web Sphere 4.0x (not sure about 4.1)
it asks which database it will be connecting to, for storing it's own
information in (not relating to any
Applications/Servers/Groups/Nodes/etc), and uses specific SQL approaches
depending upon the database selected.

PostgreSQL isn't listed in the available options here. There may have
been a generic "SQL" option, but I don't remember seeing one for that
either.

If you get Web Sphere up and running using a different database (Oracle
8i at the time I was creating packages) then you'll find in the Web
Sphere configuration files (admin.conf file in the <WEBSPHERE_ROOT>/bin
directory I think, but I could be wrong) that you can alter the
configuration to go into a "generic SQL" mode and it appears to even be
able to optionally DO or NOT DO a 2 phase commit (which I remember
someone was telling me was important with PostgreSQL).

So, although it's not supported out-of-the-box, you may in fact somehow
be able to get it to work, with a bit of time an effort (think hours).
:)

Would have liked the time to try it myself (as this would really prove
beneficial for a lot of places) but had more urgent and important things
to do.

BTU - Generally your question is the sort of thing which you need to ask
on the PostgreSQL "General" mailing list, not via a bug report. You'll
probably still find it more beneficial to subscribe to the "General"
mailing list and see what goes on there.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Cleft

Prison wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> Can any body help me , whether postgres work with IBM websphere ?
>
> if pls kindly give me the details regarding this.
>
> thanx and regards,
> prinson.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

- Indira Gandhi