Re: Wisconsin Benchmark

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: PostgreSQL general list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wisconsin Benchmark
Date: 2002-02-27 02:01:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 10:39:33AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > If you're speaking of the Wisconsin benchmark in the abstract, I think
> > it's not used very much anymore; people seem to put more faith in the
> > various TPC benchmark designs.
>
> There are some explanations of why people don't like Wisconsin much
> any more, and what sorts of workarounds you can use with Wisconsin in
> order to address some of those worries, at
>
> http://www.benchmarkresources.com/handbook/4.html

About here I'll put in a plug for the "Open Source Database Benchmark"
(osdb.sourceforge.net), which has a small and active developer base,
implements the AS3AP database benchmark, and runs on Linux. Due to the
recent efforts of the developers, it's ability to be ported to other
platforms is really coming along (if you're a decent C coder, you can
probably get it running on Windows, *BSD, AIX, etc without too much
effort).

It's a true multi-user database benchmark, and is working on PostgreSQL,
and MySQL, and I think Informix is now working too.

Hope that's helpful.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift