Re: Current JDBC Driver char encoding - Bug or feature?

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Jan Wessely <jawe(at)vknn(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Current JDBC Driver char encoding - Bug or feature?
Date: 2001-11-29 17:43:40
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-jdbc

Jan,

You have three options:

1) Enable multibyte on your server and create your database with the
encoding that your data is in (i.e. if you are storing Latin1 characters
you should create your database with the Latin1 encoding).

2) In your jdbc connection URL specify explicitly the encoding you want
the jdbc driver to use. (i.e. add ?charSet=XXX to the end of the URL, I
don't recal if this takes the postgres encoding names, or the java ones)

3) Use the latest driver from 7.2.

The problem is that the 7.1 driver started to use the encoding that the
database specified the database was created in, to do conversions.
Unfortunately if the server isn't built with multibyte enabled it always
reports the database encoding as SQL_ASCII. SQL_ASCII is 7bit ascii.
Thus any 8bit characters are converted to ?s.

thanks,
--Barry