character sequence problem

From: Vincent(dot)Gaboriau(at)answare(dot)fr
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: character sequence problem
Date: 2001-11-23 08:11:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi all,

A cursious problem occurs with some character sequences with french
characters.
I have seen lots of things on the internet to solve this foreign
charater problem but nothing works!
I have PostgreSQL v 7.0.2 under Linux.

I give you some expemple under psql ("intradev" is the database name):

***************************** EXAMPLE
*************************************
intradev=> \d pipo
Table "pipo"
Attribute | Type | Modifier
-----------+----------+----------
test1 | char(50) |
test2 | char(50) |

intradev=> select * from pipo where test1 like '%Coordination%';
test1 | test2
-------+-------
(0 rows)

intradev=> select * from pipo where test1 like '%oordination%';
test1
| test2
----------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------

Comité Coordination | Test
(1 row)

intradev=> select * from pipo where test1 like '% Coordination%';
test1 | test2
-------+-------
(0 rows)

intradev=> select * from pipo where test1 like '%é Coordination%';
test1
| test2
----------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------

Comité Coordination | Test
(1 row)

*************************END OF EXAMPLE
*************************************

As you can see the 'é' character make mistakes with the 2 following
characters.
Perhaps do you need more information ? So...
- The database encode is UNICODE (with "\encoding" comand).
- The local variables are:
LC_MESSAGES=fr_FR
LC_TIME=fr_FR
LC_NUMERIC=fr_FR
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR
LC_MONETARY=fr_FR
LC_COLLATE=fr_FR

To start the postmaster, how can I know the backends options list? And
what is the option -o "-Fe" for example?
Another question (the last but not the least ;-) )! How can I know if
PostgreSql has been installed with the local configuration support (It's
not me who had installed PostgreSQL and The SRCs are not anymore present
on the computer).

Thanks,

Vincent.