Machine independent performance.

From: Ludva Radomír (KM) <Radomir(dot)Ludva(at)cssz(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Machine independent performance.
Date: 2001-11-23 08:11:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello, I have got a problem with performance.

My friend which is novice in Linux started with building a db application.
He use PostgreSQL. The application with a lot of queries, slects and updated
is slow, about 10minutes in a particular place. The speed is equal even if I
run postmaster on 80486,16Mb or Pentium,512Mb. It runs on RadHat 7.0, kernel
2.2.16. Compiled with --enable-multibyte --enable-locale. It use odbc, the
application is wrote in Centura Builder.

BUT: I started to instal my own installation of Linux, I downloaded
PostgreSQL and builded. Created db, and loaded data. Then I started
Postmaster and the same procedure takse NOT 10Minutes but 45second. I dont
know why in his instalation it is so slow. I do not know where is problem.
Also on Cygwin it runs about 45seconds. I Used RedHat 6.2.

I don't know where is problem.

The only diference I found was when postmaster was run with -d 2 parametr
was:

Slow instalation (10minutes): postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
Quick instalation (45 seconds: postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 8

Radmi

---
Odchozí zpráva neobsahuje viry.