Problems between Mandrake and pg

From: Ryan Rohde Hansen <rrha00(at)control(dot)auc(dot)dk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems between Mandrake and pg
Date: 2001-11-21 13:44:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi

We are a group studying at Aalborg University. We are at the moment
developing a postgresql-db (7.1.3) on Mandrake 8.0, which we intend to
access via libpq. But at the moment we can't even connect to the db.
The connection is refused and we are asked if the -i option has been set
in the startup of postmaster:

[01gr551(at)ika dbkode]$ ./test1
Connection to host=localhost dbname=01gr551 failed, PQconnectPoll()
-- connect()
failed: Connection refused
Is the postmaster running (with -i) at 'localhost'
and accepting connections on TCP/IP port '5432'?

The program we are running:

#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include </usr/local/pgsql/include/libpq-fe.h>

int main()
{

PGconn *conn;
const char *connection_str = "host=localhost dbname=01gr551";

conn = PQconnectdb(connection_str);
if (PQstatus(conn) == CONNECTION_BAD) {
fprintf(stderr, "Connection to %s failed, %s", connection_str,

PQerrorMessage(conn));
} else {
printf("Connected OK\n");
}
PQfinish(conn);
return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

From the user it cannot be seen if postmaster is running (pg_ctl
status), but from root it is apparent that it does. It is true, that we
do not have the -i option on, but we haven't found a way to change it
that really works. We have tried changing the options in a file called
postmaster.opts but it didn't work.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to do?

Yours in anticipation

Ryan Hansen, on behalf of group 01gr551 on AAU