Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?

From: Didier Moens <Didier(dot)Moens(at)dmb(dot)rug(dot)ac(dot)be>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?
Date: 2001-11-12 12:40:18
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:

> 1) I wanted to redesign the Migration Wizard as it worked well for Access,
> but not other DBs.
> 2) The new design was based on the concept of building an object hierarchy
> from the source database that could be modified in any way required before
> building the target database. Data could then be filtered across though user
> definable VB or JavaScripts (using the MS scripting Engine).

Intriguing. I suppose this could take care of the problem I'm having in
PgAdmin I with regional settings (need to change from e.g. Dutch to
English, in order to correctly import e.g. single precision fields).

> Currently I have the bginnings of a pgAdmin II Migration Wizard Plugin. It's
> not in CVS as it's not even remotely complete, but if you (or anyone else)
> wants to take a look I'll happily make it available.

Sure ; no objection being a beta-tester. After all, isn't everyone ? :)

However, as I am on the brink of converting a crucial MSAccess project
to PostgreSQL, and not being an ODBC nor a pgSQL wizard, I'm
understandably hesitant to convert my data with a pre-beta (?) tool.

> On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard out of
> pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This would have to be
> released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that code.

So, I gather no "immediate" benefits are to be gathered from waiting for
the PgAdminII Migration plug-in (as I've got this self-imposed 2001
deadline for the conversion) ?

Actually, I wondered whether there would be any improvements wrt. the
interaction with new pgSQL 7.2 features (ALTER TABLE ADD CONSTRAINT etc.).

Kind regards,

Didier Moens
-----
RUG/VIB - Dept. Molecular Biology - Core IT
tel ++32(9)2645309 fax ++32(9)2645348
http://www.dmb.rug.ac.be