Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Didier Moens'" <Didier(dot)Moens(at)dmb001(dot)rug(dot)ac(dot)be>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?
Date: 2001-11-12 12:04:21
Lists: pgadmin-support

I don't recall saying that pgAdmin II *is* feature complete, but anyway the
story is:

1) I wanted to redesign the Migration Wizard as it worked well for Access,
but not other DBs.
2) The new design was based on the concept of building an object hierarchy
from the source database that could be modified in any way required before
building the target database. Data could then be filtered across though user
definable VB or JavaScripts (using the MS scripting Engine).
3) In order to do this, I needed to get certain details (e.g. fkey, pkey)
from the source database. To get this info, I was using direct OBDC API
calls.

Unfortunately, it turns out that whilst the ODBC spec allow me to get the
required info, the MS Access & SQL Server ODBC drivers don't support that
level of functionality (neither does psqlODBC btw), and basically I couldn't
do what was required on the 2 most popular source database types :-(

Currently I have the bginnings of a pgAdmin II Migration Wizard Plugin. It's
not in CVS as it's not even remotely complete, but if you (or anyone else)
wants to take a look I'll happily make it available.

On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard out of
pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This would have to be
released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that code.

> Congrats with an otherwise very nice tool.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Regards, Dave.