Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Didier Moens'" <Didier(dot)Moens(at)dmb001(dot)rug(dot)ac(dot)be>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Status of Migration Wizard ?
Date: 2001-11-12 13:13:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

You misunderstand me I think. The code isn't even remotely beta, it barely
even gets a list of columns in a table from the source database yet. I
really have hit a total brick wall with this ODBC problem and don't have
time to look at it right now (I'm in the middle of a large migration of an
Informix database & IIS website to Linux).

If you still want to look at the code then the offer is still there of
course...

> > On my personal To-Do list, is a job to rip the old Migration Wizard
> > out of pgAdmin I and make it a standalone application. This
> would have
> > to be released under GPL as a number of people had a hand in that
> > code.
>

> So, I gather no "immediate" benefits are to be gathered from
> waiting for
> the PgAdminII Migration plug-in (as I've got this self-imposed 2001
> deadline for the conversion) ?

I doubt I'll even touch it this year. I'm not even sure my concept is
possible using ODBC :-(

> Actually, I wondered whether there would be any improvements wrt. the
> interaction with new pgSQL 7.2 features (ALTER TABLE ADD
> CONSTRAINT etc.).

It would be difficult to make direct comparisons as the new design concept
is so completely different.

In your case, I would suggest that you use pgAdmin I to migrate your data
(http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgadmin). I hope to solve this problem,
but I really don't know when I can right now :-(

Regards, Dave.