Re: Index location patch for review

From: Stefan Rindeskar <sr(at)globecom(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index location patch for review
Date: 2001-09-12 16:36:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I am very new to this mailinglist so I apologize if I start talking early but
I've been working as a sysadmin and that kind of problems for a long while
now and my suggestion is that it is a start but I think that we should aim a
little higher than this and use something more like the Oracle approach
instead. Where they introduce an abstraction layer in the form of a
tablespace. And this tablespace is then referenced from the create table or
create index instead.
eg:
table -> tablespace -> path to physical storage
index -> tablespace -> path to physical storage

Advantages:
Changes can be done to storage whithout need to change create scripts for db,
tables and so on.
Designers can specify in which tablespace tables/indexes should reside based
on usage.
Sysadmins can work with tablespaces and change paths without changing
anything in the database/table/index definitions.

The alternative is symlinks to distribute the load and that is not a pretty
sight dba-wise.

Hope you can bare with me on this, since I think it is an very important
issue.
I'm unfortunately not a fast coder yet (but I'm getting faster :-) ). But I
could start writing a spec if someone is interrested.