Re: Index location patch for review

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: "'Bruce Momjian'" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, jim(at)buttafuoco(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index location patch for review
Date: 2001-09-12 16:58:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Attached is a patch that adds support for specifying a
> > location for indexes via the "create database" command.
> >
> > I believe this patch is complete, but it is my first .
>
> This patch allows index locations to be specified as
> different from data locations. Is this a feature direction
> we want to go in? Comments?

The more general and "standard" way to go are TABLESPACEs.
But probably proposed feature will be compatible with
tablespaces, when we'll got them: we could use new "create
database" syntax to specify default tablespace for indices.
Unfortunately I removed message with patch, can you send it
to me, Bruce?

Vadim