Re: [HACKERS] Troubles using German Umlauts with JDBC

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rene Pijlman <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Troubles using German Umlauts with JDBC
Date: 2001-09-11 17:10:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

No this isn't a locale issue. This is a character set issue. Java is
unicode based. Therefore it needs to convert data it receives from the
server into unicode. In order to do this, it needs to know the
character set that the server is sending back the data in. Locale
issues like collation sequences, date formats, etc. are unrelated to
this specific issue.

thanks,
--Barry