Re: Re: looking for a secure

From: Fran Fabrizio <ffabrizio(at)mmrd(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: looking for a secure
Date: 2001-07-31 20:45:57
Lists: pgsql-general

wsheldah(at)lexmark(dot)com wrote:

> And why don't you have the luxury of using Perl? If it has to be C, I think
> there's a tool or two for converting Perl code to C that might be helpful....

Because the client machines are not always owned by us. In a few cases so far,
we've been specifically prohibited from installing new languages. Plus, some of
the client machines are rather old AIX and SCO boxes and even when we do have
latitude to install perl, it's hard to either find a new enough/complete enough
binary or get one to build that has all of the necessary modules that we use.

> I can understand not wanting to make it web based if there's no human
> interaction. Perl can talk directly to the database too...

Yep. I use Perl to talk to Pg (and MySQL) extensively all the time. (Side note:
Tim Bunce's Advanced DBI talk at the Open Source Conference was great last week,
anyone interested should check out the slides once O'Reilly makes them available
online). Just don't have the liberty of that in this case, sadly.

-Fran