Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)

From: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: OID wraparound (was Re: pg_depend)
Date: 2001-07-19 06:36:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp> writes:
> > As I mentioned already I'm implementing updatable cursors
> > in ODBC and have half done it. If OIDs would be optional
> > my trial loses its validity but I would never try another
> > implementation.
>
> Could you use CTID instead of OID?

I am using both.
TIDs for fast access and OIDs for identification.
Unfortunately TIDs are transient and they aren't
that reliable as for identification. But the
transience of TIDs are useful for row-versioning
fortunately. The combination of OID and TID has
been my plan since I introduced Tid scan.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue