Re: BLOBs

From: Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BLOBs
Date: 2001-06-12 22:19:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>Thomas Swan <tswan(at)olemiss(dot)edu> writes:
>>
>>>I know that BLOBs are on the TODO list, but I had an idea.
>>>
>>I think you just rediscovered TOAST.
>>

>We have TOAST and people want to keep large objects for performance. I
>think we could us an API that allows TOAST binary access and large
>object access using the same API, and hopefully an improved one.

I think I missed what I was trying to say in my original statement. I
think there's a way to use the existing API with performance benefits
left intact.

Take for example the table :
create table foo {
foo_id serial,
foo_name varchar(32),
foo_object BLOB,
);

On the insert statement "insert into foo (foo_name,foo_object) values
('My Object','{some escaped arbitrary string of binary data}');", flush
the {some escaped arbitrary string of binary data} to disk as a
temporary file. Then do the lo_import operation transparent to the user.

On a select, do the same thing (transparently) and return the data back
to user.

Personally, I like LO's being stored separately from the actual table.