Re: Regression tests for OBSD scrammed..

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression tests for OBSD scrammed..
Date: 2001-05-11 04:25:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Possible solutions: (a) rename tables in one test or the other,
> > or (b) use TEMPORARY tables in one test or the other. I kinda
> > like (b), just to exercise temp tables in some interesting new
> > ways. Whaddya think?

I have a preference for (a). If we want to test temporary tables, let's
have a test which does that. But having a possible name conflict mixed
in to another test seems to be asking for trouble, or at least does not
decouple things as much as they could be.

There is a benefit to having complex tests (a great benefit) but without
also having decoupled tests the diagnostic benefit is not as clear cut
imho.

Bruce, would you have time to generate a regression test for temporary
tables? If we don't have one now, we should.

- Thomas