Re: Regression tests for OBSD scrammed..

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, bpalmer <bpalmer(at)crimelabs(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression tests for OBSD scrammed..
Date: 2001-05-11 05:00:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> Possible solutions: (a) rename tables in one test or the other,
> or (b) use TEMPORARY tables in one test or the other. I kinda
> like (b), just to exercise temp tables in some interesting new
> ways. Whaddya think?

> I have a preference for (a). If we want to test temporary tables, let's
> have a test which does that. But having a possible name conflict mixed
> in to another test seems to be asking for trouble, or at least does not
> decouple things as much as they could be.

But we already have a ton of regress tests that work on nonconflicting
table names. Seems like we add coverage if we try a few that are doing
parallel uses of plain and temp tables of the same name.

> Bruce, would you have time to generate a regression test for temporary
> tables? If we don't have one now, we should.

There is one. But as a single test, it proves nothing about whether
temp tables conflict with similarly-named tables from the point of view
of another backend.