WAL Log using all my disk space!

From: webb sprague <wsprague(at)o1(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL Log using all my disk space!
Date: 2001-04-27 18:16:22
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

The problem:

I do a large bulk copy once a day (100,000 records of Radius data),
tearing down indices, truncating a large table that contains summary
information, and rebuilding everything after the copy. Over the course
of this operation, I can generate up to 1.5 gigs of WAL data in
pg_xlog. Sometimes (like just now), I will run out of disk space and
the postmaster will crash. I try to restart it, and it errors out.
Then I delete all the WAL logs, try to restart, and (surprise) it errors
out again.

I tried to set some of the of the WAL parameters in postgres.conf like
so:

wal_buffers = 4 # min 4
wal_files = 8 # range 0-64
wal_sync_method = fdatasync # fsync or fdatasync or open_sync or
open_datasync

but I get 24+ separate files.

I would like to recover without an initdb, but if that isn't possible, I
would definitely like to avoid this problem in the future.

Thanks to all