Regex select ~ with ^ not using index on char field or text; Locale bug?

From: Greg Maxwell <gmaxwell(at)martin(dot)fl(dot)us>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Regex select ~ with ^ not using index on char field or text; Locale bug?
Date: 2001-04-27 18:21:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Just migrated a database from a RH6.1 + PG 7.0.3 system to a RH7.1 + PG
7.1 (rpms from ftp.postgresql.org (postgresql-server-7.1-1)).

On performing queries such as select * from table where name ~ '^NAME.*';
the database fails to use the available Btree index where available, even
when the database is told not to use the SEQ_SCAN optimization.

Figured it was a locale related bug..

PGsql was initlized and is started with the scripts in the RPM, so
LC_ALL=C is set. PSQL is also run with LC_ALL=C.

Am I going to need to hack the .spec to remove --enable-locale and
recompile?

--
The comments and opinions expressed herein are those of the author of this
message and may not reflect the policies of the Martin County Board of