interface differences in the 7.0.3 version

From: lonnie <Lonnie_Cumberland(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: interface differences in the 7.0.3 version
Date: 2001-03-03 05:17:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello,

My name is Lonnie Cumberland and I have recently started to migrate our
project over to PostgreSQL 7.0.3 as I really like some of the
extendability features that I see in you product.

We are working on an Internet project demo that will be shown to various
people to get our new company off of the ground after which we will be
looking to obtain commercial support for the database server.

The problem that we are finding is that PostgreSQL 7.0.3 does not seem
to be downward compatible with previous releases of PostgreSQL. What I
mean to say is that we have been looking at some database web
applications such as "www-sql" and "MetaHTML" to handle the database
connection to our data.

Both of these products are open source and say that they will function
with PostgreSQL, but it turns out that they seem to connect bu do not
return any data with this 7.0.3 version of PostgreSQL.

I initially thought that the applications were the problem, but gound
that when I compiled the example code in the libpq++ and executed the
applications then data is returned like it should be.

This is VERY dissapointing as we are unable to run older versions of
PostgreSQL on this system, and the web interface applications that we
need to use, and should be downward compatible, do not want to function
correctly even though they compile just fine with the new 7.0.3
PostgreSQL.

You might want to look into this compatibility problem as it will affect
all of the existing applications that were using your previous versions
and now CANNOT function correctly.

If someone could also let me know about the solution to this problem,
then I would greatly appreciate it.

Best Regards,
Lonnie Cumberland
OutStep Technologies Inc.,