Re: Printing PostgreSQL reports

From: fabrizio(dot)ermini(at)sysdat(dot)it
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Printing PostgreSQL reports
Date: 2001-02-22 17:43:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 22 Feb 2001, at 12:49, Jeff MacDonald wrote:

> I think CURSORS would be the correct way to do it..
>
> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Richard Ehrlich wrote:
>
> > I can post info to PostgreSQL from a webform via JSP, and I can post
> > reports from PostgreSQL to a webpage. Can anyone tell me how I might format
> > a PostgreSQL report to a web page so that it will print discrete, sequenced
> > pages?

Here the problem is in that "discrete" keyword, that doesn't fare
well at all with HTML. You can't put anything that seems a
pagebreak on a HTML, the browser handles the print as it prefers.
The best you could do is try to estimate the lenght of the printed
page and put a lot of whitespace between a page and the next, but
given the variety of browsers, systems, and printers combinations,
you should have a lot of luck...

If you want to generate "M$ Access-like" reports, divided into
pages, you'll have to resort to a different formatting language. For
example, you can generate a downloadable .rtf file, or even a .pdf
one. It's a lot of work, but the result is guaranteed.

Fabrizio Ermini Alternate E-mail:
C.so Umberto, 7 faermini(at)tin(dot)it
loc. Meleto Valdarno Mail on GSM: (keep it short!)
52020 Cavriglia (AR) faermini(at)sms(dot)tin(dot)it