Re: Database cluster?

From: Tim Kientzle <kientzle(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: Gordan Bobic <gordan(at)freeuk(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Database cluster?
Date: 2000-12-01 01:03:58
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Splitting tables across multiple machines would do
> > nothing more than make the entire system run at a
> > snail's pace . . . because you just couldn't move
> > data between machines quickly enough.
>
> In my case, queries typically return ... [a]round 100
> records at most. [E]ven over 10 Mb ethernet, it would
> take at most about a second to transfer. This is a
> much smaller delay than the query time itself, which
> can take 10 seconds or more.
>
> So, splitting the data in such a way that one table is
> queried, and then tables joined from it are queried in
> parallel, would cause a signifficant speed-up.

Then do exactly that: run separate PostgreSQL databases on
multiple machines and build a data abstraction layer that
does the join manually. If there really are only small
numbers of rows, then it's just as fast to transfer the
data to your application machine as to transfer it all
to a common PostgreSQL machine and then to your application.

If you really need application transparency, then things get
a bit uglier; it shouldn't be too hard to build your own
middleware layer that lets you treat the data storage as
a single entity.

- Tim