Re: Re: [INTERFACES] USE OF CURSORS IN ECPG

From: Christof Petig <christof(dot)petig(at)wtal(dot)de>
To: Maurizio <maurizio(dot)c(at)libero(dot)it>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [INTERFACES] USE OF CURSORS IN ECPG
Date: 2000-11-10 10:52:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Maurizio wrote:

> But, how can I do ?
> I have to recall the same routine many times. I tried to prepare and declare
> the cursor inside the routine but when I compile with ecpg I receive the
> error Cursor already defined.

you should drop the cursor (exec sql close name;)
But there is trouble ahead (believe me - see below)

> Maurizioan

------------
(Oh, I misunderstood, if you get into trouble with transactions (waiting for
you ;-() you might consider the following lines)
------------
You certainly should disable autocommit!
exec sql set autocommit to off;
otherwise you have no control over when a transaction starts and whether this
succeded.
Then at the start of your SubProgram do
bool my_transaction;
exec sql begin work;
my_transaction=!sqlca.sqlcode;

at the end:
if (my_transaction) exec sql commit work;

This should give you an idea on how to accomplish it. If not feel free to ask
me.

But (sigh) you need my NOTICE to sqlca patch applied. It's not in 7.0 but in
7.1! I don't know any other way (I'll attach the patch)

Christof

PS: You might consider applying the patch for (update where not_found) -> 100
and the cache which doubles ecpg's speed.

Attachment Content-Type Size
Pgsql_Ecpg_Notice.diff.gz application/x-gzip 2.0 KB
Pgsql_Ecpg_Notice2.diff.gz application/x-gzip 291 bytes
Pgsql_Ecpg_Update_100.diff.gz application/x-gzip 339 bytes
Pgsql_Ecpg_Type_Cache.diff.gz application/x-gzip 1.4 KB