Re: Does this table exist?

From: KuroiNeko <evpopkov(at)carrier(dot)kiev(dot)ua>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does this table exist?
Date: 2000-11-02 21:34:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro,

> Now, I'm building a database to hold customer data that needs to be
> organized in a one-table-per-customer manner. No, I don't think there's
> another way to do this

Maybe, there's still a way to implement this in a theoretically correct
manner? In fact, the amount of data (meaning cardinal number, I guess)
doesn't matter that much.
Of course, you can always query data dictionary (system tables) to find
out whether particular table exists, but you're not guaranteed to have
these tables always the same, little bits may change between releases.
You can split large tables `horizontally,' ie store relatively old data in
bigger, `archive' tables, and newer data in smaller, `live' ones.

--

contaminated fish and microchips
huge supertankers on Arabian trips

Rainbow, Difficult to Cure