Re: Re: pg_dump docs

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: pg_dump docs
Date: 2000-10-20 14:21:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> [Not to list]

Back on list; thanks though for protecting me from ridicule ;)

> >For developers (-hackers developers, not application developers using
> >the current release), the "current docs" correspond to the docs built
> >nightly (actually twice a day), which reflect the current development
> >tree.
> If http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/user/ is supposed to be
> based on CVS, then I must have done something wrong; the new pg_restore
> entry has not appeared (it's now > 24 hours old).
> Any hints would be appreciated.

Ah, the build has been failing for at least the last few days due to
small problems in new content. Since I receive ~700 logs of doc builds
each year (well, that is the annual rate but I've only stepped up to
twice daily since ~April), I get sloppy about looking through them
carefully, and instead tend to look for the *length* of the log as a
measure of success while rarely examining the end of the log to see how
it actually went. In this case I missed the failure.

btw, the build log is updated and posted at

http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/docbuild.log

Vince, could we get a cross reference to this on the developer's page?

The current problem is in using underscores in the "id" field of header
tags; this is an illegal character in this context per DocBook (a
feature not at all obvious, but which can be seen by omission in our
other docs).

pg_restore.sgml also had quite a few ^M's at the end of lines; I've got
a utility to clean those up so I applied those fixes also.

While tracking down another problem with replicated ID fields in
runtime.sgml, I caught a duplicated section and removed the apparently
older version.

I've also applied a couple of fixes suggested by Laser Henry.

Things now build without errors on my local machine, and should do the
same on postgresql.org.

- Thomas