building pgsql-interfaces...

From: Mark Dzmura <mdz(at)digital-mission(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: building pgsql-interfaces...
Date: 2000-10-17 06:14:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi:

I have for some months been regularly building a local copy of pgsql-interfaces by updating our
local tree from the Postgresql anonymous CVS server...

Recently, someone modified the JDBC builds so that they refer to a file,

"../../../src/Makefile.global"

(and possibly some others as well...)

We check out ONLY the pgsql-interfaces module from CVS (because it's all
we have disk space for right now), the result being that we have files only
below

pgsql/src/interfaces

in our local tree...

I modified our directory structure to mirror the "official" one, then tried
to check out "pgsql/src/Makefile.global" from the CVS server, and it
doesn't seem to exist. Perhaps it is built at compile time??

How can we get our builds to work again without getting the ENTIRE
postgresql source tree ??

(( I offer as a suggestion that Peter/et al move to using the Java Apache project's
"Ant" package for doing Java-only builds... It is so much faster and cleaner
to build under Ant (everything is compiled under a single JVM) and maintanence
of the build.xml file is so much cleaner than hopeless makefiles...

If there is interest, I will take a stab at creating a build.xml for the JDBC driver...))

Thanks,
Mark Dzmura

p.s. I recently upgraded to JBuilder 4 from JBuilder 3/3.5, and am running
it on a Red Hat Linux 6.2 system using the Sun/Blackdown 1.3 Final JVM.
I noticed that whatever issues prevented the old Borland JDBC Explorer from
working are still extant - I can see multiple copies of SYSTEM tables, but
tables created by a user do not show up... Any ideas on this????

Attachment Content-Type Size
mdz.vcf text/x-vcard 280 bytes