RE: wrong documentation and others .....

From: Peter Mount <petermount(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>
To: "'dhjr(at)hddesign(dot)com'" <dhjr(at)hddesign(dot)com>, Gabriel Lopez <gabilm(at)dif(dot)um(dot)es>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: wrong documentation and others .....
Date: 2000-10-17 08:29:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I've some experience of Solaris, and now I'm back at work I've got access to
a few Solaris boxes.

Anyhow, catching up with this thread:

* the fail is in the loop reading the result:
sometime a 'E' element is return after a 'Z'

This is a protocol problem, and it would be useful to know if it happens
outside of jdbc. psql won't do in this case, as lo_import() runs locally not
over the network.

* I've read in some Java Usenet groups that class
files are not as Write-Once-Read-Everywhere as Sun would like us
to believe.

This is true to a point. It depends on how pure the javac implementation is,
and how pure the java source is. I've tried to keep the JDBC source as pure
as possible, although I can only test it out under Linux & Windows, but it
should be fine with Solaris. It would be interesting to see if there are any
differences between postgresql.jar compiled under Linux & Solaris.

* FATAL 1: my bits moved right off the end of the world!
Recreate index pg_attribute_relid_attnam_index.

This is internal to postgresql. It's one of my favourite error messages,
although I've never had it myself, so I've not had to fix it before.

* InputStream is = rs.getBinaryInputStream(1);
* // use the stream in some way here
* is.close();

This should work, as it reads the entire LargeObject into a
ByteArrayInputStream(), which is what's actually returned. However, the next
release should return a LargeObjectInputStream object, which reads from the
backend as and when required. This should be done by the weekend.

Peter

--
Peter Mount
Enterprise Support Officer, Maidstone Borough Council