Re: Online checksums patch - once again

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Online checksums patch - once again
Date: 2019-12-16 15:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 5 Dec 2019, at 16:13, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:41 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>> Attached is a rebased v14 patchset on top of maser. The Global Barriers patch
>> is left as a prerequisite, but it will obviously be dropped, or be
>> significantly changed, once the work Robert is doing with ProcSignalBarrier
>> lands.
>
> Any chance you and/or Magnus could offer opinions on some of those
> patches? I am reluctant to start committing things with nobody having
> replied.

Attached is a v15 of the online checksums patchset (minus 0005), rebased on top
of your v3 ProcSignalBarrier patch rather than Andres' PoC GlobalBarrier patch.
It does take the, perhaps, controversial approach of replacing the SAMPLE
barrier with the CHECKSUM barrier. The cfbot will be angry since this email
doesn't contain the procsignalbarrier patch, but it sounded like that would go
in shortly so opted for that.

This version also contains touchups to the documentation part, as well as a
pgindent run.

If reviewers think this version is nearing completion, then a v16 should
address the comment below, but as this version switches its underlying
infrastructure it seemed usefel for testing still.

+ /*
+ * Force a checkpoint to get everything out to disk. XXX: this should
+ * probably not be an IMMEDIATE checkpoint, but leave it there for now for
+ * testing.
+ */
+ RequestCheckpoint(CHECKPOINT_FORCE | CHECKPOINT_WAIT | CHECKPOINT_IMMEDIATE);

cheers ./daniel

Attachment Content-Type Size
online_checksums15.patch application/octet-stream 67.9 KB