Database authentication and configuration

From: Carolyn Lu Wong <carolyn(at)kss(dot)net(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database authentication and configuration
Date: 2000-07-18 02:01:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Are there anywhere to configure so that whenever I call 'psql dbname',
it'll always prompt for user authentication instead of getting into the
database directly?

In addition, I'd like to default various database settings when I
connect to the database. Where is the place to do such configuration?

TIA.