Re: Database authentication and configuration

From: Rodger Donaldson <rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database authentication and configuration
Date: 2000-07-19 21:46:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 12:01:46PM +1000, Carolyn Lu Wong wrote:

> Are there anywhere to configure so that whenever I call 'psql dbname',
> it'll always prompt for user authentication instead of getting into the
> database directly?

Take a look at the configuration of your pg_hba.conf file. You will most
likely find that you're set up to trust local users. You can force
authentication by changing this to password, crypt, or kerberos based
authentication.

--
Rodger Donaldson rodgerd(at)diaspora(dot)gen(dot)nz
"Forgive us if we bite your head off; we were led to assume you weren't