Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Sebastian Rychter" <srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC
Date: 2008-05-27 04:13:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Sebastian Rychter
<srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar> wrote:

> 2008-05-27 02:55:10 GMT LOG: duration: 112157.000 ms statement: SELECT
> 2008-05-27 03:07:29 GMT LOG: duration: 250.000 ms statement: SELECT

Wow, that is a big difference. I reformated your querys and diff'ed
them. You are correct, they are exactly the same query. My only
other guess would be that the first time you execute this query using
ODBC, you need to get a fresh read from disk. However, once this
dataset is cached in memory it returns much faster when you requery it
using PGAdmin. If you run the same query twice conseqitively in ODBC,
does the second query perform much better or do both querys perform
badly?

If they both odbc queries perform badly, the last thing that I would
try would be to capture the results of :

EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT ...(your query), from both ODBC, and PGADMIN.
If we compare them It should at least tell us what the server is doing
differently that is causing the query mis-behavior.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug