Re: CLASSOID patch

From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CLASSOID patch
Date: 2000-06-26 03:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Chris Bitmead writes:
>
> > Attached is a first attempt at implementing the classoid feature.
>
> I'm wondering what other people think about the naming. Firstly, it's my
> feeling that TABLEOID would be more in line with the general conventions.

I was thinking this myself today. Mainly because I wonder if in the
future there may be support for more than one table implementing a
particular class type. On the other hand the oid is a reference to the
pg_class table. Maybe pg_class should be renamed pg_table? Anyway, my
current thinking is that tableoid is better.

The general naming conventions in postgres are a bit disturbing. Some
places refer to classes, some to tables, some to relations. One day it
should all be reconciled :-).

> Secondly, maybe we ought to make the name less susceptible to collision by
> choosing a something like _CLASSOID (or whatever).

Only if oid becomes _oid and ctid becomes _ctid. I don't think it's
worth it myself.