Re: [HACKERS] CLASSOID patch

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] CLASSOID patch
Date: 2000-06-26 03:36:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> I'm wondering what other people think about the naming. Firstly, it's my
> feeling that TABLEOID would be more in line with the general conventions.

No strong feeling either way. The old-line Postgres naming conventions
would suggest CLASSOID or RELATIONOID, but I sure wouldn't propose
RELATIONOID.

> Secondly, maybe we ought to make the name less susceptible to collision by
> choosing a something like _CLASSOID (or whatever).

No, I don't like that. If we're going to do this at all then the name
ought to be consistent with the names of existing system attributes,
and those have no underscore decoration.