create user and transactions

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: create user and transactions
Date: 2000-06-16 16:26:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The ODBC driver has trouble with 7.0.x for some apps. 7.0.x has some
additional "error checking" which rejects some commands appearing inside
of transactions. Can we consider relaxing this, particularly since we
are considering making some of these "rejecting conditions"
transaction-friendly in a future release? Dumping work into ODBC and
other drivers to work around this is a diversion from other projects,
and I'm not sure we'll have much to show for it in the end.

btw, this is a continuation of the discussion regarding protecting users
from themselves vs handing them an ever-sharper tool. Usually I'll vote
for working on sharpening the tool rather than dulling it to protect a
naive user. I'll avoid using the analogy to the evolution of barbecue
lighter fluid, which in recent years is no longer very risky, but also
has trouble lighting barbecues :/

- Thomas