Re: Changes to functions and triggers

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: hackers(at)PostgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changes to functions and triggers
Date: 2000-06-16 14:50:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This no longer works. I looked and the docs and it seems that this
> should work instead.
>
> CREATE FUNCTION make_date(date, int, int, int)
> RETURNS opaque
> AS '/usr/pgsql/modules/make_date.so'
> LANGUAGE 'c';
> CREATE TRIGGER make_edate
> BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE ON bgroup
> FOR EACH ROW
> EXECUTE PROCEDURE make_date('edate', 'aniv', 'emon', 'eyear');

What if you leave out the quotes on the last line above, so the column
names are actually visible? It looks like the example in the docs might
be a poor choice since the function is intended to manipulate columns,
so the text representation of the column name is being passed in.

Don't know if that is the source of your trouble though...

- Thomas