large data values through ODBC?

From: Bill <bouma(at)cplane(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: large data values through ODBC?
Date: 2000-06-16 02:25:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Is it possible to retrieve a large data value (one that is too big to fit into a
column)
through the ODBC interface? (ie. using SQLBindCol() and SQLFetch())

I was able to store large data values using the ODBC interface with the
SQL_DATA_AT_EXEC set in SQLBindParameter(). I know it worked because
the following select dumps the data into the file:

=> select lo_export(attr1, '/tmp/large') from attr_table where id = 2;

=> select * from attr_table;
id| attr1
--+------
1|160289
2|160320
(2 rows)

It seems that what is needed (at least) is a select on a large object that
returns
the data directly rather than sending it to a file. Something like:

=> select lo_retrieve(attr1) from attr_table where id = 2;

After that it would be up to the ODBC drivers to do the right thing.

Bill <bouma(at)cplane(dot)com>