Re: Crosstab SQL Question

From: Paul Condon <pecondon(at)quiknet(dot)com>
To: matt(at)ctlno(dot)com, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Crosstab SQL Question
Date: 2000-06-16 02:17:23
Lists: pgsql-general

The crosstab functionality in MS Access is (I believe) a seamless
integration of Access and Excel, where pivot tables are actually
implemented.

As others have indicated, crosstabs are available in other data analysis
systems.
I have found a nice implementation of crosstabs in R, which is a
system/language for statistical analysis, data display, and data
plotting. <www.r-project.org>

R is a version of S, which is also a statistical analysis language.
There are lots of issues with how one displays a crosstab which are not
easily addressed within the context of RDBMS. I suggest the PostgreSQL
team not plan to add crosstabs to PostgreSQL, but simply refer enquiries
about crosstabs to the R team. The link between the two is not difficult
to establish.