Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Jan Dittberner <jan(at)jan-dittberner(dot)de>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Hackers List <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mandrake RPMS, was "Building PostgreSQL 7.0.1 documentation"
Date: 2000-06-15 15:24:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I did so, I build packages for Mandrake. Your SPEC file is great and
> I had only to do some little changes for full Mandrake compliance.

Great!

> - pack all source files with bzip2, even those you left uncompressed

Ooh. That would seem to be at odds with the "pristine source" philosophy
of RPM, but I'll guess that this topic has been covered extensively
elsewhere? Are we sure that this is not just a suggestion from Mandrake
that the sources *should* be available with bzip2 compression?

> - extract the .jar files and the init/logrotate scripts at their
> destination

Is this related to the previous point? I haven't looked at the details,
but I'm not sure why Mandrake and RH would need to be different here.

> - bzip2 all man pages

Hmm. This is for the man pages after installation from the RPM, right?

All in all these are pretty small changes for two independent distros,
though it is a shame that even these diffs need to exist. The ".bz2 on
input files" is particularly annoying, since those compression formats
are *not* available in the original tarball distros.

> That's all, I will upload the SRPM to the Mandrake incoming directory
> in the later evening and will notify Lenny Cartier (MandrakeSoft).

Lamar, would it be possible to carry (some of) these differences in the
same spec file? *So much* is in common that it would be nice to have the
info together. But in either case, this is great progress. Thanks Jan!

- Thomas