Re: Regression testing failure: float8...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression testing failure: float8...
Date: 2003-02-17 00:33:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org> writes:
> Actually, now that I think about it, since BSD hasn't changed it's
> handling of FPU errors in over 12 months now (no longer sends SIGFPE
> on FPU errors), and it used to pass less than a month ago, it looks
> like this is a "perk" of a recent gcc upgrade to 3.2.2.

I'd expect it to be a libc issue, not a compiler nor kernel thing.
What you've got is that strtod() is now returning ERANGE for an
underflowed input value, whereas before it did not. It's hard to
believe that this would depend on which compiler you compiled Postgres
with. (Maybe it could depend on which compiler you compiled libc
with, though?)