Re: jdbc driver: Why it isn't jdbcCompliant?

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: Gunnar R|nning <gunnar(at)candleweb(dot)no>
Cc: Janossy Gergely <gjano(at)freemail(dot)hu>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc driver: Why it isn't jdbcCompliant?
Date: 2000-05-29 18:50:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Gunnar R|nning wrote:

> Janossy Gergely <gjano(at)freemail(dot)hu> writes:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm using Sun JDK 1.2.2 and tried to use the pgsql interface with postgresql
> > 6.x and 7.0 as well. I couldn't use any of the interfaces because
> > the method Driver.jdbcCompliant() is always false. Even with mysql driver.
>
> Hi Janossy,
>
> I guess this only means that the driver doesn't implement all the
> interfaces according to the JDBC specification. But it works fine for most
> applications as long you not are depending on esoteric(or special)
> features. In fact I'm very satisfied with it for an JDBC based web application
> I ported this week to PostgreSQL. I'm also running Sun JDK 1.2.2 as you do.
>
> regards,
> Gunnar
>From the Driver source code:

/**
* Report whether the driver is a genuine JDBC compliant driver. A
* driver may only report "true" here if it passes the JDBC compliance
* tests, otherwise it is required to return false. JDBC compliance
* requires full support for the JDBC API and full support for SQL 92
* Entry Level.
*
* <p>For PostgreSQL, this is not yet possible, as we are not SQL92
* compliant (yet).
*/
public boolean jdbcCompliant()
{