Re: [HACKERS] Re: interactive pgsql book

From: Jeff Hoffmann <jeff(at)propertykey(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: interactive pgsql book
Date: 2000-05-24 16:46:56
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> By "interactive" I ass/u/me Poul is referring to PHP's annotated manual.
> I've found that to save me HOURS due to oddball little quirks that someone
> else discovered first and noted in the annotated docs.

i'd have to agree 100% with this. i use php and i've had much the same
experience. as a matter of fact, i think i commented to tom lockhart
about this a long time ago when i was having some problem understanding
how setting up alternate database locations worked. it fills a
different role than a FAQ & it's a lot easier than searching mailing
lists (even when the list search is working). it seems like there are a
lot of quirks that are non-intuitive to a lot of users (e.g., recently i
was having trouble getting an index to be used on a query and realized
that i needed to add an explicit typecast on the query) that aren't
covered anywhere, maybe even not in the mailing lists.

jeff