Re: [HACKERS] Re: interactive pgsql book

From: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Poul L(dot) Christiansen" <plc(at)faroenet(dot)fo>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: interactive pgsql book
Date: 2000-05-24 16:20:25
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
on 5/24/00 12:02 PM, Vince Vielhaber at vev(at)michvhf(dot)com wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> That is quite interesting.  Let me CC this over to the hackers/docs
>> lists to see if we want to do this for our main docs.
>>
>> As for my book, I want those messages sent to me so I can fix them or
>> add information to the book.  I think maybe we want the same thing for
>> the manuals.  We want to get suggestions so we can compile them into the
>> manuals and add to them, rather than having comments, but I am
>> interested to hear what others say.
>
> By "interactive" I ass/u/me Poul is referring to PHP's annotated manual.
> I've found that to save me HOURS due to oddball little quirks that someone
> else discovered first and noted in the annotated docs.
>
> I'd not only support this, if it's wanted I'll make sure it's implemented.

I'm not trying to start any kind of war, but since OpenACS is being
considered for community management already, it can automatically set up
HTML file annotation with no extra effort. All you do is add the HTML files
to the doc directory and sync up with the database (one click), and you've
got user-contributed annotations (with moderation if you so desire).

This is similar to Philip Greenspun's photo.net docs.

-Ben