Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings
Date: 2000-02-26 12:41:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus wrote:

> Boy, I'd sure find it desirable. There's nothing to stop people from
> using varchar(8000) or whatever if they want a predictable top limit.
> Text is not a standard type, and this wouldn't break standard semantics.
>
> lzText wasn't removed because folks thought it was useless, IIRC,
> it was removed because TOAST was an exciting and much more powerful
> approach and no one wanted to introduce a new type doomed to disappear
> after a single release cycle.
>
> With TOAST, from the user's point of view you'll still have an
> _undefined_ max tuple length - the max will just be really, really
> large. Sure, the tuples will actually be fixed but large varying
> types can be split off into a series of tuples in the TOASTer
> oven, so to speak. So I guess I have difficulty understanding
> your argument.

Acutually it was not undefined but variable that made me uncertain -
i.e. the fact that max size depends on the contents of string

> If text were implemented as lzText for a quick 7.1, which apparently
> was Jan's spin on the idea, then for 7.1 we'd say:
>
> "maximum number of characters you can store in a column of type
> text varies"

... varies from below 8K to ~100K depending on the redundancy of data"

> and after TOAST we'd say:
>
> "maximum number of characters you can store in a column of type
> text varies"

Rather "maximum number of characters you can store in a column of type
text is limited by available memory and/or disk space"

Hannu