Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings
Date: 2000-02-26 14:46:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 01:27 AM 2/26/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
>> Here's the test case:
>
>Hmm. I get a rule string exceeding 8K out of this (in current sources),
>as checked by breakpointing at InsertRule() in rewriteDefine.c and
>looking at 'actiontree'.
>
>What's your basis for asserting the rule is only ~ 1K?

I looked at the string dumped by pg_dump and it didn't appear to be
anywhere near 8KB, so I presumed that the actual data stuffed into
the rule is larger than whatever gets dumped out as the source
representation.

I've never looked at the implementation of rules, so it's unclear
to me just exactly what is being saved and just how much of it
using lzText would impact.

I had breakpointed the debugger at first and that's why I first
said apparently the rule string was > 8KB. Then I looked at
pg_dump output and had doubts that the answer was this simple...

http://donb.photo.net.