Re: [PORTS] RPMS on PostgreSQL.org updated.

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RPMS on PostgreSQL.org updated.
Date: 2000-01-03 16:51:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > Latest release: postgresql-6.5.3-3 and 6.5.3-3nl.
> > Please read /pub/bindist/RPM/README and README.rpm for more
> > information.
>
> So should I blow away all of the other RPM directories on the FTP
> site??

You can, if you wish. Jeff gave me the bindist/RPM directory, and
symlinked the RPMS and SRPMS tree of yours into the bindist/RPM/RPMS and
bindist/RPM/SRPMS directories, respectively. The links on the download
and news pages will have to be changed when you do so -- which is why I
suggested to Jeff that he symlink, so that links wouldn't be broken.

Future download links for the RPMs should point to bindist/RPM, IMO.

I have already found some other annoyances with the RPMs -- on upgrading
the server subpackage, a chkconfig --del is performed -- but a
corresponding chkconfig --add is not performed, thus removing postgresql
from being autostarted. I think a change in the behavior to leave well
enough alone if upgrading, and do the chkconfig --del only if this is an
uninstall would be appropriate. I got bit with this on my production
server -- not fun.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio