Re: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Oscar Serrano <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers
Date: 1999-12-03 16:38:19
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I've seen that declaring don't-remember-what variable, the dates were
> returned in the west-european format (dd/mm/aa).
> Won't be a similar variable to the number format?

No, unfortunately they are not related. The date/time routines can't
simply use localization, because:

1) the allowed time range for several date/time types exceeds the
Unix-supported range.

2) localization for input supports only one style at a time in
general.

We've got explicit code to allow several (4) different date/time
styles, which is what gives you the western European format.

By contrast, we use the system-supplied numeric i/o routines, so don't
have full control over formatting options. That may be a good thing,
since I would assume the system does a more efficient job than we
would.

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California