RE: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers

From: "Oscar Serrano" <oserra(at)fondos(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] Spanish format on date and numbers
Date: 1999-12-03 14:44:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 11:27 AM

> On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 02:12:15PM +0100, Oscar Serrano wrote:
> > As I told in previos messages, I thing I must compile Postgres
> > with --use-locale and have defined some variables. But I'm not sure how
> > define that variables, and in case I have them well defined, I don't
know if
> > it is needed extra configuration in my Linux, or have installed any
spanish
> > library or whatever.
>
> Does that mean a localized postmaster returns the number with ',' instead
of
> '.'? Mine certainly doesn't.

Well, I'm not sure. That's what I wanted to know. Reading the not very clear
documentation at this point, I understand that a spanish localiced
postmaster returns the the float numbers with ',' instead of '.'

I've seen that declaring don't-remember-what variable, the dates were
returned in the west-european format (dd/mm/aa).
Won't be a similar variable to the number format?

> In fact I remove LC_NUMERIC for ECPG to make sure numbers have the '.' as
> decimal seperator.

Reading the documentation of the installation process, I didn't see the
LC_NUMERIC variable anywhere. I only saw references to the LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE,
and LANG.

> Could anyone tell me what standard says? Is it "14.7" as my postmaster
gives
> it to me even with LC_ALL=de_DE and --use-locale or is it "14,7" as the
> German locale asks for (and I have a bug in my setup). If the later is
> correct ECPG has to go back to the drawing board.

The standard, I think, is "14.7" and not "14,7" if you don't use-locale.

Can anybody tell us what variables and how must they be defined before
compile with --use-locale to make the postmaster return values in the
spanish format?

Thanks.